ASHFORD, Mt. Rainier, Wash. – August 31, 2010 – Rub elbows with Everest summiteers including legendary mountaineers Ed Viesturs, Dave Hahn, Jim and Peter Whittaker, Dave Hahn and other world-class climbers will share their adventures with talks, slideshows and audience Q&A’s and will be available throughout the event for book signings and more casual conversation. Other activities include: Alpine Games – competitions for cash prizes in classic mountain events, five-mile trail run, mountain technique demonstrations, Mt. Rainier benefit raffle with proceeds benefiting Mount Tahoma Trail Association, kids fun and games, and music and food for everyone.
“The Mountain Festival has become a tradition, a mountaineering reunion for those of us in love with Mount Rainier and big mountains in general,” commented Dave Hahn, who has reached the summit of Mt. Everest twelve times. “The legends of the high altitude game are sure a lot easier to talk to over a picnic in Ashford than on the glaciers where they earned their fame.”
Hahn and other world-class climbers will share their adventures with talks, slideshows and audience Q&A’s and will be available throughout the event for book signings and more casual conversation.
Other Rainier Mountain Festival highlights include the following:
* Alpine Games – competitions for cash prizes in classic mountain events such as speed climbing, sled pull and erect-a-tent;
* Five-Mile Trail Run – Enjoy a competitive run or leisurely walk on a meandering trail in the scenic foothills of Mt. Rainier on Sunday morning, Sept. 12, at 10AM. Registration fee is $10 and includes an event t-shirt;
* Mountain Technique Demonstrations – Mountain guides will share mountaineering techniques such as fitting a backpack, climbing food and nutrition, what to look for in a mountaineering stove, and boot fitting. Demonstrations will happen throughout the weekend at the Demo Tent;
* Ed Viesturs free slideshow on Sunday Sept 12, at 11:00
* Mt. Rainier Benefit Raffle – Tickets will be sold and drawings held for over $10,000 worth of gear with proceeds benefiting Mount Tahoma Trail Association. Drawings will take place throughout the day. Participants do not have to be present to win;
* Kids Fun and Games – Supervised climbs on a rock wall, an inflatable bounce house and children’s games will be offered both days for free.
* Music and Food – Food vendors with BBQ, micro brews and more, as well as free live entertainment by local bands.
Ashford, Washington is located just outside the Paradise entrance to Mount Rainier National Park. With outfitters, guide services, shops, lodging, and restaurants, it is the established base camp for Mt. Rainier summit attempts as well as a longtime choice for mountain vacation getaways.
For event information, please contact Jeremy Foust at [email protected]