National Monthly Theme: Citizen Science
Corresponds with the first nationwide BioBlitz on the 10th anniversary of the annual NPS/National Geographic BioBlitz. The focus will be on parks and programs that are engaging visitors in science, highlighting innovative programs and important research going across the NPS. Climate science will be an important element of this theme.
- May 14, Mount Rainier Centennial Film Release: Changing Times.
- Mount Rainier National Park Associates Centennial Volunteer Project, May 21: For information on this trail maintenance project, and to sign up, contact MRNPA.
- May 20, Bat Blitz, Longmire. Visitors are invited for an evening hike with biologists and rangers to learn about nocturnal adaptations and bat diversity at Longmire.
- May 21, Park-wide BioBlitz. Park scientists and volunteers will conduct species inventories in conjunction with Centennial BioBlitz events throughout the country.
- Every Kid in a Park Programs: Special in-park curriculum education program focused on the meanings, values and diversity of national parks for regional 4th-grade classes. Transportation scholarships are available.
For the National Park Service Centennial in 2016, the National Park Service has developed a theme-oriented message calendar to help parks, regions, and programs promote their work to connect with and help create the next generation of park visitors, supporters, and advocates.