The Mount Tahoma Trails Association operates and manages the largest no fee Hut-to-Hut Trail System in North America for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Approximately 50 miles of trails, 20 miles of which are groomed, provide safe and easy access to 3 ski huts and a yurt. Trails vary from novice to expert, are well-signed and are patroled by an all volunteer ski patrol. Enjoy the trek for a day or overnight destination in the Ashford area.
Both North and South side districts are open each winter for snowshoeing and cross country skiing.
Trek on skis or snowshoes along the trails in Mt. Tahoma Trails Association’s expanded North District, off Forest Service Road 92, at Hwy. 706 one mile west of the Ashford. The north district includes Copper Hut which is an excellent day or overnight destination trip of 4 miles from the 92 Road Sno Park. World Class views abound on the Rainier Vista Trail above Copper Hut.
The south district includes, the magnificent scenery of Mt. Rainier from High Hut 4 miles from the #1 Road Sno Park, and the quiet seclusion of the Yurt located 6 miles from the same Sno Park. The Snow Bowl Hut, which burned in March of 2008, has been re-built and now sleeps ten.
IF YOU GO
Overnight use is by permit only. Purchase permits at:
- Whittaker Mountaineering in Ashford, 800-238-5756
- MTTA, PO Box 206, Ashford, WA 98304 or call (360) 569-2451 or email: email@example.com
Parking requires a Sno-Park permit.
- More Info: Mount Tahoma Trails Association
- Phone: 360-569-2451
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchase a weatherproof trail map
- Get directions: South District Driving Map
- Get directions: Step by Step directions complete with photos