On September 12, 2022, both US 12 and SR 123 in Lewis County reopened following a closure due to the Goat Rocks Fire.
The fire remains active and travelers through these areas should expect smoky conditions and be prepared in case further closures should be necessary.
Please continue to be alert for emergency personnel, slow down and give crews room to work.
September 9, 2022 Updates on the Goat Rocks Fire and Traveler Advisories
Both directions of US 12 between Skate Creek Road (milepost 131.4) in Packwood at the White Pass Summit (milepost 151) are now closed due to smoke from the Goat Rocks Fire burning near Packwood, making visibility difficult. Crews have also closed both directions of State Route 123 between US 12 and south of the Ohanapecosh Campground in the Mount Rainier National Park.
With hot, dry, windy conditions in the forecast this weekend, it is too soon to tell when the highways will reopen.
With evacuations in the area, local traffic is allowed on these highways. Commercial vehicles are prohibited in the Mount Rainier National Park.
Travelers are asked to avoid the area to provide access for emergency vehicles and evacuees.
With US 12 closed it is not possible to enter or exit via SR123 in the Stevens Canyon Entrance in the southeast corner of Mount Rainier National Park. Please be prepared to enter/exit the park on SR410 to the north or east (Chinook Pass), or southwest on SR706 (Nisqually Entrance/Ashford).
Published 9/9/22 at 6:23 PM
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a wildfire inside Mount Rainier National Park? No. The Goat Rocks Wilderness area is part of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Click here for more info.
- Is Mount Rainier National Park still open? Yes. Use the Nisqually or White River Entrances. Avoid the Stevens Canyon Entrance until further notice.
- What’s current visibility like? Regional webcams can provide helpful insight.
Availability 9/9 thru 9/13 (as of 6:24 PM on Friday)
- Alpine Inn at Crystal Mountain
- Alta Crystal Resort in Greenwater
- Carbon Country’s Shady Rest Bed & Breakfast in Wilkeson
- Crystal Chalets at Crystal Mountain
- Enumclaw RV Campground
- Guesthouse Enumclaw
- Mounthaven Resort in Ashford
- Rodeway Inn in Enumclaw
- Silver Skis Chalet at Crystal Mountain
- Stone Creek Lodge in Ashford
SOLD OUT ON 9/9 and 9/10 See Notes for Future Availability
- Alexander’s Lodge (available starting 9/11)
- Bear’s Den
- Betsy’s Cabins (has 1 cabin available 9/13)
- Blue Ox Basecamp
- Buchanan’s Bunkhouse
- Camp Alder (available 9/11-9/13)
- Chalet (available 9/11-13)
- Coho Cabin (available 9/11-13)
- Copper Creek (available 9/11-9/13)
- Cornerstone Cabin
- Crystal Moon Cabin
- Dancing Bear Lodge
- Deep Forest Cabins
- Deer Hideout in Ashford
- Emmon’s Suite at Ashford Lodge (available 9/11-9/13)
- Four Stone Lodge
- Front Lodge (sold out 9/10 but available 9/11-9/12)
- Gateway Inn
- Glowing Pines Log Cabin
- Goldilocks Cabin
- Happy Tails Cabins & Yurts
- Hebe’s Hideout
- Indian Henry’s
- Lindgren Haus
- Lazy Bears
- Little Bears
- Little Elk Cabin
- Little Feet Retreat
- Little Fir
- Little Red at Rainier
- Mill Village Motel (availability starting 9/11)
- Mountain Meadows Inn & Chalet
- Mount Rainier Retreat (availability starting 9/13)
- National Park Inn
- Nisqually Lodge (1 room available 9/11-9/13)
- Paradise Inn
- Paradise Village
- Red Chalet
- River’s Edge
- Running Deer Chalet
- Sherpa Cabin at Altimeter
- Squirrel Run
- Starry Nights
- Stormking Cabins
- Tahoma Lodge
- The Large Lodge (available 1 night 9/11)
- The Nest at Left Foot Farm
- The Tiny House at Rainier BaseCamp
- Three Bears
- The Overlook
- Trout House
- Vine Maple
- Wellspring Cabins
- Westwood Chalet
- Whittaker’s Bunkhouse (availability starting 9/11)
- Wonderland Lodge